Saturday, April 03, 2010

Its the experience that makes everything worthwhile



Like I've mentioned in the previous post, the girls and I went out to town to celebrate Siyun's birthday - she's the first one amongst us to turn eighteen!

Plans of the day were as simple as:

1) picnic-ing
2) polaroid shots
3) cake-decorating


Food was good (Siyun's mom cooked the best food as usual), some spillages here and there (which resulted in anna's pair of colourful white shorts), and Annia's ham sandwich was the first item which made me break my fast.

You see, it was Good Friday yesterday and Catholics were supposed to fast. Oh right, I was studying with Nelson, Laurencia, Rahul and Melissa and I had to go through a few hours with a cup of rich chocolate ice blended and plates of yummy food in front of me. I guess that's the least I could do for being a not-so-faithful catholic. I'm still in the midst of trying and I hope I will.

Picnic was as picnic-y as it could get with all the mess here and there or rounds of "would you rather", or whatever stuff girls would talk about. We soon took out the rented polaroid camera for 8 group shots (two turned out terrible and they're with me, the rest looked magical) and looked like city girls in them :]



Then I decided to buy a new packet of polaroids for a little photography trip on my own - just to be UTTERLY disappointed because I couldn't get the shots that looked so good in the viewfinder. I'll read up more on them next time. The trip bought me a little experience I could never forget:

I GAVE ONE AWAY TO AN INDIAN GAY COUPLE.

This isn't meant to be offensive in whichever way you should view it, but its an omg-seriously?-worthy story to narrate right?


So these two guys spotted me with it and shyly asked "is it expensive? Can we have one?". At first I was abit like, "eh... its abit expensive..." (I only had a few shots left at that time and its 13 bucks for 10 shots) but decided it'd be quite cool to give one away, anyway.

So I agreed on the condition that they'd let me take a photo of that polaroid. They happily agreed and posed for me under the evening sky.


Too bad it turned out like the night sky.

So I said the friendly goodbye and somehow I met them again at the escalator. I went up to them and asked if they could pose WITH the polaroid and they decided to pose for me in a hugging position without the polariod -.- right.

too bad I didn't capture that moment. This is sweet enough I guess:


.. and that guy asked me for my number and I politely refused. Guess what, he went "do you want mine??". then I gave the uh-no-thanks-I'll-smile-just-to-be-safe face and walked away. Did they want my number so I could give them more free shots in the future or what?!

I concluded that they're gay from the way they wanted a photo of themselves SOOOOO badly and the way they hugged. Hmm, I shall cease to comment any further, lest my mind gets clogged up with issues about rights and all.

End of adventure.



It kinda gave me this VERY STRONG URGE to take photos of strangers and give it to them but I only had one shot left and wanted to use it for the cake-decorating shot later. Maybe next time :]

Its the entire experience, not being able to keep the polariod that makes everything worthwhile. Photography's pretty fun and interactive!



Then I tried something I've always wanted to try:



firstly, the idea isn't original. I just wanted to try it.
secondly, it was a failed shot because the polaroid camera didn't capture the words "LIBRARY @ ESPLANADE" properly and there isn't much going on in the picture.... :/



I returned to the girls (looking bored and in a rush) so we set off to 313. I think I was being a loner for not bringing my phone with me during the tour around esplande myself :(

a few photos of the cake and the rest are on fb (as usual):



In the end, only the a few of us were happily squiggling on it. Anna and i would make totally great partners cause she can give me the ideas and i'll draw 'em! Anyway, check out our cool 3D things!


hearts


kaaasae car

(that pink breast-look-alike-thing was supposed to be a 3d drum, but the gooey icing failed me. So i turned it into a cupcake but I guess it preferred to be a big boob. Drew a smaller one next to it cause there was enough space! haha)

her cake also included pictures of:
a sperm
a stehthoscope
2d drum
a microphone
a first-aid-cross

especially for our doctor wannabe/PA enthusiaste/drum lover.


and here's a phot of us digging the cake. (which was delicious)

abit on the messy side so I wouldn't mind decorating another one!!!!! The best part was that we got a 6 inch cake for the price of a 4 inch one and didn't realise it until we started diggin' into it.



Some cam-whoring, shopping, chatting and rounds of doing nothing before we headed home.











(sec two pose man)


obviously bored kids...


picnic!


ashley wearing my boots! :D


Love you girls :D

On the wonderful night, I also got reminded of how much I love talking to strangers and taking photos still make me as happy as ever. I like the kind of satsifaction you get from interacting with strangers cause I won't have to care about what they think.

No comments: